August 30, 2013

L'Oréal Collection Privée (Official TIFF Festival Collection) - Colour Riche Nail Polishes

The Toronto International Film Festival is almost upon us (runs September 5th to 15th, for my fellow film buffs), and with it comes this incredibly classic, and yet totally modern collection of stellar nudes for lips and nails.

The L'Oréal Collection Privée is the official TIFF collection, and features matched pairs of lipsticks and nail polishes that are meant to evoke the particular essence of the following ladies: Eva Longoria, Doutzen Kroes, Freida Pinto and Jennifer Lopez.

L'Oréal Collection Privée (Official TIFF Festival Collection) - Nail Polish Eva Doutzen Freida J.Lo
Left to right: Eva's Nude, Doutzen's Nude, Freida's Nude, J. Lo's Nude
L'Oréal Collection Privée (Official TIFF Festival Collection) - Nail Polish Eva Doutzen Freida J.Lo
Left to right: Eva's Nude, Doutzen's Nude, Freida's Nude, J. Lo's Nude
I'll have swatches and reviews for the lipsticks up shortly, but I wanted to start with the nail polishes. As you may have noticed, these come in the smaller-sized bottle, similar to the very limited topcoats that were available earlier this summer. If you go through nail polish like crazy, or if you fall in love with a particular shade, that might be an issue. On the other hand it's nice to have a polish size that you are actually likely to finish.

These also feature the same style of rounded but flat brush that is found in all the L'Oreal Colour Riche nail polishes. (Which I happen to love for my nail size and shape.)


Eva's Nude (Barely Golden): This is a rich, inky burgundy with an warm undertone of brown. It looks glossy even without a topcoat, and applies smoothly for such a vampy shade. It self-levels, and you could probably get away with one coat if you go a little thicker from the outset. I prefer two, however, for that saturated look. This was two coats.

L'Oreal TIFF Collection Privee Eva's Nude


Doutzen's Nude (Barely Pink): Surprisingly, this is my favourite out of the four! It's a pale, milky ballerina pink, with a fine shimmer throughout. Not quite as self-leveling as the other shades, and I had a small amount of streaking, but this was overall a lot easier to apply than many shades of this type. I think this looks best when worn opaque rather than sheer, two coats at least. This was three coats.

L'Oreal TIFF Collection Privee Doutzen's Nude

Freida's Nude (Barely Parma): One of those strange morphing shades that reads plum, mauve or brownish-taupe, depending on your light. It even has tones of slate in some lights. The lighting in this picture is a mix of daylight and artificial light, and it's closest to the way it usually looks. However, I am wearing it in this video, where it pulls much more taupe/grey. It's a stunner, self-leveling, and opaque at one coat. This is two, and the second was entirely unnecessary.

L'Oreal TIFF Collection Privee Freida's Nude

J. Lo's Nude (Barely Greige): One of those putty shades that is cool and effortlessly chic. And this one is truly effortless - it applies like a dream and really only needs one coat, though I did my usual two. This is the slim white t-shirt of nail polish shades - easy, flattering and best when not fussed with too much.

L'Oreal TIFF Collection Privee J. Lo's Nude

I think this is a well-edited collection, with a "nude" likely to appeal to you, no matter what your tastes. Again, I was surprised that the frothy, girly Doutzen shade is the one that stood out for me, despite Freida's being the sort that I'm usually drawn to.

Availability: Out now in Canada, and very limited. At most drugstores, including Jean Coutu and Pharmaprix/SDM. Price is 3.99$ CAD.

Pros: All but the pink shade were self-leveling and wearable with only one coat. Formula was creamy and easy to apply, and all the shades are distinct and flattering.

Cons: The bottle size might be too small if you discover a favourite. Doutzen is a bit streaky if you want to wear it sheer.

(These items were provided by the brand/PR to be considered for review. This post is not sponsored or compensated.)

8 comments:

  1. looks great, but i love lippies, so I can't wait for them! hope they will be available in Romania also..
    love all your work! xoxo

    http://mademoisellelorraine.blogspot.ro/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I should have the lippies up in a couple of days. :)

      Delete
  2. Oooo I've bene looking at these but was a little uncertain about the formula. Good to know that overall it's good. I just might pick up a few! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really liked the formula of most of the Colour Riche polishes I've tried - their creams are generally quite pigmented and self-leveling. :)

      Which ones are you thinking of getting?

      Delete
    2. Eva & Frieda are the ones I'm liking most. :)

      Delete
  3. I adore all these shades but already have very similar things in my giant pile of polishes wasting away. I used to find the L'Oreal polish formula quite lacking but haven't tried since the re-releases. Kind of like the small size of these bottles too. Unless you own just one, no way you'll finish a nail polish bottle!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, they're not unique shades if you have a substantial collection. Though I do think Freida's has a lot of depth in the way it looks under different lighting. I think there's a China Glaze that's similar?

      Delete
  4. Can you compare doutzen's nude lip color to loreal's ballerina shoes?

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for your comment, I love to hear back from you guys. =) I try to respond back to every comment within a few days.

Please don't use this comment form for self-promotion, though. It's bad blogger etiquette. And we don't wish to upset Emily Post. ;)