July 26, 2013

My Makeup Room

It's taken nearly two years since the initial planning stages, but my ultimate dream boudoir is now complete. YOU GUYS. I am so happy I could fall over! I literally spent half an hour last weekend just sitting on the couch, absorbing how much I love it. :D

Kudos, as always, go to my man. He built the room from scratch, painted it, assembled all the furniture, hung all the fixtures, made the jewelry board and the nail polish racks, and generally bore all my insane demands with tremendous patience and good humour. He is literally the best guy out there. *smooshes*

I'll do some breakdown posts of the actual makeup storage/organization in the coming months, as part of my collection series. (There is also a video linked at the end of this post that goes into more detail.) For now, this is a general overview of how the room itself is set up.

Coming into the room from the office next door...


The door between the rooms is a sliding French door, so when it's closed it still lets a nice amount of light in. The frames above the couch contain some prints from one of my favourite artists, Alphonse Mucha. I really wanted to have a little nook in here, a place to escape the world and rest in a little bubble of pretty.

Immediately to the left of the couch...


This is a little book nook - not my entire book collection, just those on the topics of religions, spirituality and mythology, as well as some fun, trashy mass markets. My lovely vintage sewing machine has a place of honour below the jewelry board (which is a repurposed cover to the electrical panel). The knobs are all from Anthropologie.

And then on the right of the couch...


This is where the makeup area begins. Most of the storage furniture in this room comes from the Besta and Alex collections from Ikea, as they are the least expensive and most customizable systems I've found for storing and organizing a collection like this.

The lamp on the drawer unit by the sofa is a custom-built item that my mother got for me for my birthday a couple of years ago. She knew we were building this room, and wanted to get me something unique, that would fit the theme. The design is a stylized peacock done in a Tiffany-style lampshade, and it is just the most beautiful thing I own. She surprised me completely, and I literally burst into tears when I opened the box. LOVE IT.

And then the rest of the makeup storage...


Drawers full of makeup! Like binders! I'll do posts later on about how I organize those. There would be too many pictures in one post, otherwise.

Also another bookcase, this one for my makeup, fashion and perfumery books. Both sides have these custom nail polish racks attached.

And if you're interested, this is the video:

And so yes. Much happiness. :D

13 comments:

  1. Your make-up room is beautiful, I'm hoping that one day I'd be able to have such a carefully set-up space just for myself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope the same thing for you as well. :)

      Delete
  2. Anonymous26.7.13

    LOVE LOVE LOVE. It's just so amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am full of giddiness, Tracy!

      Delete
  3. It is so pretty. I love what you did with the Ikea furniture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a bit of a challenge making something as functional as office furniture feel more homey and feminine. :)

      Delete
    2. Loved! It's so feminine and classy. Where did you buy the chair?

      Delete
    3. Thank you! And HomeSense. :)

      Delete
  4. I also love the paint color! What color/brand is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Palladian Blue from Benjamin Moore. :)

      Delete
  5. Anonymous18.5.14

    As much as it is pretty sweet, I worry about your mental health. This is a serious addiction! There is no reason one person needs all that makeup!? Most of it looked like our has never even been opened. I wonder if you have hording issues in other areas of your life?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous18.5.14

    As much as it is pretty sweet, I worry about your mental health. This is a serious addiction! There is no reason one person needs all that makeup!? Most of it looked like our has never even been opened. I wonder if you have hording issues in other areas of your life?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maggie, when are those products going to be used? Do you invite your girlfriends over and all of you put make up on and then you go out? That's an idea.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for your comment, I love to hear back from you guys. =) I try to respond back to every comment within a few days.

Please don't use this comment form for self-promotion, though. It's bad blogger etiquette. And we don't wish to upset Emily Post. ;)