December 12, 2012

Estée Lauder Violet Underground Palette

Like the Lise Watier Millésime "Les Vins" palette I reviewed a little while back, the Violet Underground palette from Estée Lauder was a stunning fall piece that has segued seamless into the holiday season. It is probably my favorite from the Fall 2012 collections, not least of all because of its seasonal versatility.

It is absolutely gorgeous, and performs flawlessly.



Estée Lauder Violet Underground Palette

Estée Lauder Violet Underground Palette


I love that EL veered slightly from the usual gold packaging and went with the midnight exterior. The shades in the palette are so intense, gold would have pushed this uncomfortably close to the tacky side of the 80s, rather than the Jerry Hall, glam-tastic fabulousness that this palette totally owns.

The colors are so rich, vibrant and metallic in the pan, and they do not disappoint when applied.

Estée Lauder Violet Underground Palette

Estée Lauder Violet Underground Palette swatches
Natural and artificial light.
Estée Lauder Violet Underground Palette swatches
Direct sunlight.

The formula is the Cyber Eyes tribrid that can be used wet or dry, and while the colors do go on more metallic and intense when used wet, I had no problem getting density and payoff when using these dry, and they last all day. It's even better than the Bronze Sands palette, and that's saying a lot.

Despite the scary fuchsia, this is a surprisingly versatile palette. The soft black and beautiful navy shade will, of course, make for a classic smoky eye, while the brown and cream shades work just as well for a more subdued daytime combination. There are no matte shades, so it's not an all-arounder that you can toss into your weekend bag, but it has a lot more range than would be immediately obvious.

Availaibility: Harder to locate now, but it is still available on the US Estée Lauder website, and my local Bay still had it in stock this week. Price is 48$ USD and 50$ CAD.

Pros: Sublime formula with great density and pigmentation. Fantastic overall aesthetic. Surprisingly wearable and versatile.

Cons: None that I can think of.

(I purchased this from Lord and Taylor in the States.)

6 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed with EL these days. This palette is no exception. That dark blue is stunning. The only worry about this palette is how vibrant each color is and since I'm always tempted to put all of them on at once, I would be worried to look a bit garish. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Your pictures are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I can't believe that I am actually crazy about EL these days.

      It is tempting to just go nuts with these colours, they're soooooo pretty. I think a jewel-toned smoky look would be tailor-made for this palette actually. Did you ever see the tutorial Lisa Eldridge did for something along those lines? Very inspirational.

      And thank you! It's really a challenge trying to get good light this time of year. I really want to be as true to the colours as possible. =)

      Delete
  2. Judith14.12.12

    so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love the way this palette looks Maggie, inside and out...I would have indulged in it quickly and gladly if I had 1) ever saw it available in-store, 2) if I weren't being stupidly frugal lately, and 3) if I'd actually wear all the shades LOL. This is probably why I own so few palettes, because I always feel like they're not worth the cost if I wouldn't use all the shades relatively frequently. The one huge palette I bought from UD I tend to only use 2-3 shades from and that turned me off almost completely. ~sigh~ BUT this is just so gorgeous to behold, it could *possibly* be the one palette I've seen in ages that I'd give in to :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really frustrating getting this one in-store. The SAs kept telling me different dates. I lost my patience and pounced on it when I was Stateside.

      I have a ridiculous obsession with palettes ( I need to see ALL THE SHADES, or something) but yeah, I know what you mean about not using all the colours. I was kinda giving the pink in this the side eye for a while, to be honest. It's definitely a rocker-chick look sort of shade.

      Delete

Hi! Thank you for your comment, I love to hear back from you guys. =) I try to respond back to every comment within a few days.

Please don't use this comment form for self-promotion, though. It's bad blogger etiquette. And we don't wish to upset Emily Post. ;)