November 30, 2012

L'Oréal Caresse by Colour Riche Lipsticks

By now the lipstick/lip balm hybrids are almost omnipresent - and for good reason. More hydrating than the average lipstick, packing more colour punch than the average lip balm, they are a no-fuss option for a lady with 99 things to do and not enough time in the day.

The l'Oréal Caresse version are a great variation on the theme. They claim to have a "feather-light finish that's never sticky or heavy", and that's the truth. I was super excited to find them at Ulta during a trip to the States, and then again more recently here in Montreal. (As per my haul videos here and here.)

l'oreal caresse by colour riche lipstick

They look sleek and elegant, with packaging that reminds me a bit of the YSL lipsticks, though of course not as weighty and minus the detailing. 

l'oreal caresse by colour riche lipstick
Sheer Linen, Rose Taffeta, Pink Cashmere, Velvety Fuchsia, Blushing Sequin.

The texture is thinner than that of the Revlon Lip Butters, closer to the feel of the Dior Nude collection, though perhaps not as plumping. They apply incredibly well, and look wonderfully glossy, almost juicy. Eventually they take on more of a satin finish as the oils in them evaporate.

They can be worn sheer with one quick layer, built up with multiple layers and even blotted down for a stain effect. They have a fair amount of slip, so you may find them migrating slightly outside the border of the lipline if you're not careful. That slip gives them a hydrating feel initially, making them comfortable to wear.

l'oreal caresse by colour riche lipstick swatches
Sheer Linen, Rose Taffeta, Pink Cashmere, Velvety Fuchsia, Blushing Sequin.
Indirect light.

l'oreal caresse by colour riche lipstick swatches
Sheer Linen, Rose Taffeta, Pink Cashmere, Velvety Fuchsia, Blushing Sequin.
Sunlight.

The line has 12 shades (in Canada, though Ulta lists 16 shades), and on very pigmented lips like mine, some of them can look more similar than different. My personal favourites are Velvety Fuchsia (you know me and my love of hot pinks) and Rose Taffeta. 


l'oreal caresse by colour riche lipstick swatches sheer linen


Sheer Linen. Beige nude. 

I was actually pretty impressed by how much it toned down the natural pigment in my lips, despite how sheer it looked in the swatch.

l'oreal caresse by colour riche lipstick swatches rose taffeta


Rose Taffeta. Warm, soft rose-pink.

This is exceptionally flattering, and the ideal My Lips But Better Shade. A sophisticated nude that doesn't drain the skin.
l'oreal caresse by colour riche lipstick swatches pink cashmere


Pink Cashmere. Candy pink. 

This was a touch too cool for me, and for some reason it emphasized dryness in my lips and caked slightly in the lines.
l'oreal caresse by colour riche lipstick swatches blushing sequin


Blushing Sequin. Coral pink.

My lips are a plummy shade naturally, so this pulled a lot more pink than coral on me.
l'oreal caresse by colour riche lipstick swatches velvety fuchsia


Velvety Fuchsia. Hot, blue-toned pink.

Love, love, love. This has a lot of opacity for a lip product of this nature. It's beautiful as a sheer wash, maxed out or worn as a stain.




Availability: Most drugstores, including Pharmparix/SDM and Jean Coutu. Prices vary, but usually between 10.99$ and 12.99$ CAD.

Pros: Super lightweight, soft-feeling, can be applied sheerly or colour-saturated with layering and blotting. Easy way to wear what would otherwise be an intimidating colour.

Cons: The colour variation is less distinct on more pigmented lips. Pink Cashmere can pick up on dryness, but YMMV.

(I purchased these from Ulta and Pharmaprix.)

6 comments:

  1. Great swatches, thanks! I love light, sheer lippies but so far I've resisted these. Sheer linen is calling my name tho :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, and thank you! These are so goof-proof and lovely on the lips, definitely worth investigating. =)

      Delete
  2. Judith5.12.12

    I've never tried these, interestingly enough...but seeing these swatches and your review on it, I'm going to look out for them next time I'm at an ULTA. They all look great on you! Thanks for the swatches. Great and informative as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I feel like you can't go wrong with most of these, since they have that translucency. They're great for tossing in your bag, you know? =)

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure how much I like these gloss/balm/lipstick hybrids - I find nowadays I like an opaque bold lip or only a veil of shimmery gloss more than anything else. These kinds of in-between products (same as in-between shades) do not do me justice very well, unfortunately. Though, I never rule out any kind of makeup, because I change my mind all the time! These do look nice and give your lips a fabulous juiciness which is appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally prefer an opaque lipstick as well, because it's more versatile, you know? But these I love because they're utterly without fuss. And with a 4am wakeup time, the kind of makeup I can apply with my eyes half-closed is what scores the brownie points. ;)

      Delete

Hi! Thank you for your comment, I love to hear back from you guys. =) I try to respond back to every comment within a few days.

Please don't use this comment form for self-promotion, though. It's bad blogger etiquette. And we don't wish to upset Emily Post. ;)