December 15, 2012

Laura Mercier Artist Palette for Eyes

Wow. I was writing this review and checking the usual sites for availability and...the Laura Mercier Artist Palette for Eyes was nowhere to be found. Like, NOWHERE. It had poofed right out of existence. I debated whether it was worth putting this up at all, considering, but it is an excellent palette and seems like one of those sleeper hits that ends being stalked on eBay in a few months. A few extra swatches out there for reference can't hurt, right? (If you follow me on Instagram or Twitter, you know I had planned on making this review one of three for alternatives to the Urban Decay Naked palette family. Ah well. Best laid plans.)

EDIT: Ah! Just called the Holt Renfrew in Montreal, and they still have it in stock. VICTORY. I know the Sephora in Pointe-Claire still had it as of last week. This is one that requires some in-person retailing if you want to track it down.

The Laura Mercier Artist's Palette for Eyes features twelve neutral-ish eyeshadows, half of them matte, the other half with shimmer. This is actually my first experience with Laura Mercier powder eyeshadows, and if it's indicative of the quality, then count me in for checking out future offerings.

laura mercier artist palette for eyes

I have to say, I really like the exterior packaging. It's fun and sophisticated, and not entirely what I think of when I think Laura Mercier, which tends to evoke more staid associations. Like Bobbi Brown, but more neutral. (I don't know why, since the only other LM item I have reviewed so far was the anything-but-yawn-worthy Caviar Stick.)

laura mercier artist palette for eyes

The real magic is on the inside however, with a selection of perfectly edited shades to suit most of your everyday needs. This palette isn't flashy, but it is The Little Black Dress of palettes, a passe-partout that will take you from workday to cocktails, dinner out to weekend in-and-about.

laura mercier artist palette for eyes

And then there is African Violet, which is just a stunner. Lavender, with golden shimmer. Need I say more?

I have heard that LM eyeshadows can have sheerer pigmentation (which is not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself), but I didn't find that was the case with these at all. All the shades applied with good to superb payoff. The shimmer shades are soft and buttery, not too dense, apply and blend very well.

The mattes are smooth and soft, which means they can kick up a bit of powder when you dip your brush in. It's better to go in with a light hand, blend and apply more as needed, or they can drop pigment down where you don't want it.

The wear on these was great: 8-10 hours easily over primer, some fading after 5 hours without primer, but no creasing.

laura mercier artist palette for eyes
Left side of the palette.

laura mercier artist palette for eyes
Right side of the palette.

laura mercier artist palette for eyes swatches
Mix of natural and artificial light.
Left to right, the top-row shimmers: Chocolate, African Violet, Sable, Guava, Cameo, Sunlit.

laura mercier artist palette for eyes swatches
Mix of natural and artificial light.
Left to right, the bottom-row mattes: Vanilla Nuts (not sheer, just exactly my skin tone), Plum Smoke, Cafe au Lait, Coffee Ground, Deep Night, Rich Coffee.
Availability: Couldn't find an online source anymore, but it is still available at some Holt Renfrew and Sephora locations. Price is 60$ CAD.

Pros: Exemplary range of neutral-ish shades and finishes, including excellent highlighters and liner options. Great pigmentation, easy to work with and blend. Truly a palette that answers most makeup needs.

Cons: Soft texture and pigmentation can lead to fallout on initial application, so a light hand is encouraged.

(I purchased this item from Sephora.)

7 comments:

  1. Judith16.12.12

    Very lovely palatte. I love the color African violet, I don't have anything like that color currently in my collection. Laura Mercier products are really great, can't wait to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is lovely and unique. I haven't gone through all of my collection yet for a potential comparison, but off the top of my head I can't say I own anything like it. So pretty!

      Delete
  2. This palette is so amazing! I hope that I can buy it in Germany :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too! =)

      Delete
    2. No selling in germany. It was a sephora exclusive. Only chance for germany is from ebay, where i got mine. Paid the double price and waited 6 long weeks, but it was so worth it. This palette is amazing! ;)

      Delete
  3. Now, THIS is a palette I know I'd get a ton of wear out of! I've seen the African Violet shade before and it IS so, so stunning! Lancome has a similar kind of shade I keep swatching and swatching (but never buying...), for that alone I'd buy this palette!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for your comment, I love to hear back from you guys. =) I try to respond back to every comment within a few days.

Please don't use this comment form for self-promotion, though. It's bad blogger etiquette. And we don't wish to upset Emily Post. ;)